So I make about $120 a day.
That $120 is for hours worked between 9am and 5:30pm, while usually staying behind until 6. I am required to Maintain, and add products to a website, and sell products.
It also includes the following:
- knowing the ins and outs of the complex operation and nature of Amplifiers, in classes A, A-B, B, D, and XD and the differences between them
- Knowing how digital to analog converters work, what characteristics each of them have, including their operations, filter modes, inputs and outputs, sample rate and bit depth compatibility, what model of DAC chip each of them have, the type of power supply on board, how Synchronous and Asynchronous DAC’s are different, and so on.
- Knowing the characteristics, price, power handling, construction, construction location, material composition, amplifier pairing, cable pairing, design location and warranty duration of speakers ranging from $50 to $18000.
- Explaining which TV’s are different, and why they are different
- Putting it in simple enough terms that imbeciles with the intelligence of 3 year old mentally handicapped children could understand.
- Move, Pack, Unpack, Wrap, and Lift products up to 78kg (tv’s) or 98kg’s (speaker packages).
- Tetris boxes into peoples cars.
- Know everything about everything always.
- Drop what I am doing at ANY MOMENT, to assist one of the other staff who cant plug something into a computer.
- Do a single task to completion, while I am given numerous tasks to complete while I am in the process of the first task, and then get bitched at that the first thing isn’t done.
- Perform deliveries of products to nearby suburbs out of work time in my own hours, at my own fuel expense.
- Expect to find solutions to problems existing in a set up of 20+ different home theater receivers with many hundreds of meters of different cables plugged into a fucking rats nest of connector boards, loose wires, and electrified shelves WHILE I am serving at least 2 customers at a time, offering support over the phone, getting stock for any of the other staff, cleaning the entire shop, and then getting bitched at for not finishing the first task.
- Fetch lunch for everyone, and get bitched at that whatever they ordered from different shops is wrong because they explained it to me wrong.
- Create website information in the most inefficient way possible because thats how the boss wants it.
- Get bitched at by everyone in the shop that I am not doing things right, when I could point out many MANY things they do which just do not make sense in the slightest only to get scoffed at.
- Get avoided by customers because I am “Young” and “inexperienced”, even though they are asking about a product that they need education in to use which ALL the other staff do not know how to operate.
- Explain to imbecilic old Greek men how to operate a remote to a Greek TV internet box, when they refuse to speak english, or just refuse to try to understand that they NEED THE FUCKING INTERNET!
- Explain to the Asians that NO I WILL NOT MATCH A PRICE ON AMAZON WHICH IS CHEAPER THAN OUR COST PRICE BECAUSE ITS AN ILLEGITIMATE KNOCK OFF.
- Explain to the same Asians that NO THAT KARAOKE SYSTEM WILL DESTROY YOUR $200 LG SURROUND SOUND SYSTEM YOU IDIOT.
- Vacuum the shop EVERY DAY (only me)
- Dust the shop (only me again)
- Demonstrate any of the HUNDREDS of products while memorizing its price, specifications, features, warranty, dimensions, and available colours.
- Educate customers on how to get the best out of their digital audio to find they.
- Move stock customers have just purchased to their car, weighing over 100kg sometimes.
- Make ALL the coffees.
- Learn about every new product we may get.
- Refer customers with faulty products to specific repairers.
- Take out the 3 bins weekly, cut up all the cardboard boxes and fit as much as I can in the recycling.
- Chase up information with several other companies about one customers problem.
- Get yelled at for not knowing about something that happened when I wasn’t there
- Deal with all my recurring anxiety, depression and self consciousness
Not getting paid enough for this shit! If I were being paid 40-60 buck an hour I’d put up with it, but this is many times more stress than most jobs that require less knowledge pay many times more.